Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Dumpster - Recycle Bin or Trash for Android

Dumpster - Recycle Bin or Trash for Android

Windows users must be very familiar with the term "recycle bin" and likewise Mac or Linux users must be familiar with the term "Trash".  For those who are not aware of both the terms, below is the definition which I picked up from Wikipedia  

"In computing, the trash (also known as the recycle bin and by other names) is temporary storage for files that have been deleted in a file manager by the user, but not yet permanently erased from the file system. Typically, a recycle bin is presented as a special file directory to the user (whether or not it is actually a single directory depends on the implementation), allowing the user to browse deleted files, undelete those that were deleted by mistake, or delete them permanently"

Now what do we call this recycle bin or trash in Android? Well, as of today Android doesn't have it's own recycle bin/trash. Meaning, there is no recycle bin /trash in vanilla Android. However you can install such applications from playstore.

One such beautiful application for Android is "Dumpster". I was browsing playstore to check out some new apps and I stumbled upon this. And I am glad that I did it. Dumpster is a simple application which acts just like a recycle bin for Android. Dumpster is a temporary storage for the files that you delete.
You can select the type of files which has to be stored in Dumpster when you delete it. Dumpster supports images, videos, audios, documents, other file(zip,rar,apk) and apps. Preserving files during deletion is pretty straight forward to understand. But I was little curious to know what "protect uninstalled apps" does and I tried it myself.  And this is how it works, you can see the uninstalled apps in Dumpster and you can re-install those deleted apps directly from Dumpster. Basically if you delete any app by mistake then you can re-install it through this application. Deleting by mistake and restoring it back statement holds good for all the above mentioned supported files.

Dumpster

Dumpster
















This application doesn't require any root access. However there is an option called as "allow root access" in settings. But for some reason I couldn't enable it even if my phone is rooted. You can enable Dumpster to automatically delete the files permanently after 1 week, 1 month or 3 months. Lock screen option is available in premium version of the app. Free application does contain ads. User interface is good and very responsive but opening the app takes sometime. Time taken by Dumpster to open up should be reduced a bit. Otherwise this a great useful application for all segment of Android users.

Link to download from playstore is here
Share This

7 comments:

  1. It is a very good app.
    It is a real recycle bin for android.
    Works nice and smothly on my LG.
    A must have application !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good application.
    Works nice and smoothly on my LG g2
    This Dumpster app is "A Must have Application" !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great application.
    Saves me everytime.
    Highly recommend it .

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I was skeptical, but when I saved the pictures and videos my girlfriend deleted when I wasn't looking I was like "damn this sh*t is the bomb".
    A must App for all android users.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing app
    good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very good and useful application. Way didn't think about before. Recommend.

    ReplyDelete